Group work is an effective auxiliary or stand alone healing modality. Studies have shown that being a part of a group work process can have a positive effect on one’s psychological progress in deeply profound ways. Some benefits of being in a group include:
- Gaining hope about one’s own situation by seeing progress in others
- Realizing that you aren’t alone with what is going on for you. Other’s have similar experiences
- The group provides a venue for members to share and obtain information
- You can learn new, healthier behaviour and thought patterning
- An increase in a sense of belonging
- A sense of relief from challenging feelings by working through them
- An increase in safety in a group setting
Groups typically meet one or two times per week for 1-1.5 hours. Some workshops meet for 4-6 weeks with the option of continuing while other groups commit to 6 months-1 year at a time.
Because many people did not grow up in a family group that was accepting, safe, and nurturing, it is important for group therapy to encompass these attributes. The first session will always include discussing ways in which the group can exist as a safe space for all.
Mindful Writing Therapy Group
Writing has been proven to help ease the burden of feelings that cannot be expressed. Writing is a form that engages both the body and the mind, thus increasing the potential benefits. Oftentimes when an individual has a challenging time in verbal expression, the written word is a better avenue to access one’s emotions. In this group, we engage in exercises geared towards unlocking feelings in a safe environment. You are never forced to share any writings unless you want to. Writing therapy can be useful for recovery from addictions, depression, anxiety, bereavement and challenging emotions stemming from physical illness. This is a 12 week group that is closed, meaning no additional members may join once the group is formed.
Writing may take the form of:
- play writing
Past Group and Workshops
- Mindful Eating
- Play based group for 9-10 year old girls
- Yoga and Disordered Eating
- Sexuality and Spirituality
- Coming Out Group for Women
- BDSM lifestyle
- Yoga Nidra
- Shamanic Journeying with Drums
- Support Group for lesbians with breast cancer and their partners
- Smoking Cessation
Please contact Dr. Renye for more information if you are interested about joining groups and workshops.
Denise Renye, PsyD ~ Licensed Psychologist PSY28096